The Scrappy Star Jean Quilt

 

In the spirit of loving to work with old denim jeans, I started working on a new denim quilt while still working on my circle rag quilt.

This quilt will be a lot of fun because it combines my enjoyment of working with jeans and scrap fabric.

 

Before I start any jean quilt, I need to get to the usable “yardage”.  Here is how I typically prepare a pair of freshly laundered jeans.


I start by removing both legs just underneath the pockets.  (I now have a HUGE stack of pockets waiting to a future project!)

IMG_1011 

Next, I cut down each of the seams in both legs so that each leg can be opened flat.

IMG_1012

 

I often cut away the “cuffs” at the bottom  of each leg as well.  If you accidently run over them with your rotary cutter, they’re pretty hard and I would think could dull the blade easily.

IMG_1013

 

I’m then left with two pieces of denim ready for sewing!

 

IMG_1014

More on this quilt tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...